Calling a Car Wreck Lawyer for the First Time
Most people have never talked to a car wreck lawyer – until they are injured in a car accident and need one. When you call us for the first time, relax. We’re just normal people (for the most part) and we really do want to help you. Here are some of the questions that we’re going to ask when you call for a free consultation:
- When did the car wreck happen? It is important to know the specific date of the car accident. In Tennessee, there is a statute of limitations that limits how long you have to take action to recover damages after a car wreck. After the statute of limitations expires, you will not be able to make any claim.
- Where did the car wreck happen? First, a Tennessee car wreck attorney needs to make sure that the accident happened in a location where the attorney can represent you. Second, an experienced car accident attorney will be familiar with many of the common accident areas and will be able to help you more by knowing where the accident took place.
- Did you call the police? A police report can quickly give a car accident attorney a lot of information about the accident. If you already have a copy of the police report, it is helpful to bring the report to your first meeting with your lawyer. If you do not have it, the attorney can request it.
- How did the accident happen? The lawyer will always want to hear your side of the story about how the car wreck happened. After all, you know the facts better than anyone else.
- Was anyone hurt? Some car accidents involve damage to property. Other car wrecks have injuries to people. A car accident attorney will want to know the extent of damages and the injuries involved.
- Did the other driver have insurance? Experienced car wreck attorneys have dealt with most insurance carriers. This question helps the attorney know whom you are dealing with and gives the attorney some idea about the possible challenges in collecting damages.
- Did you have insurance at the time of the accident? Not having your own insurance does not prevent you from bringing a claim for damages against an at fault driver. The attorney is simply trying to see if you may have uninsured or under-insured motorist coverage in case the other driver did not have insurance.
Don’t worry if you don’t have all of this information when you make your initial call to one of our experienced car accident attorneys. This is just a list of some common questions you can expect to be asked. Our lawyers will be happy to sit down with you, hear your story, answer your questions, and advise you on your best course of action. Our office is conveniently located in West Knoxville with plenty of free parking. Call today at (865) 691-2777 or use the easy contact form below.