I’ve Just Been in a Car Accident! Now What?
- Your first priority should always be your health and the health of any passengers in your vehicle. Take a deep breath and try to stay calm. Then assess any injuries you have or those in your vehicle have sustained. If needed, call 911 and request medical assistance. Your first thoughts should only be concerned with getting treatment for any injuries.
- Next, you want to report the accident to the authorities. While you are waiting on them to arrive, take some time to look at your vehicle and others that may have been involved in the accident. Take some pictures of the damage to your vehicle. A picture of how the vehicles came to rest after the accident is important, too. Often times your vehicle is the best evidence you have, so make sure to get pictures before it is towed from the scene – and make sure that you know where it is going.
- As best you can, be calm and collected when you discuss the accident with the Police Officer who responds. Remember, the Officer is going to be taking information for a report. Be sure to explain to the officer how the accident occurred and, if the other driver was at fault, make sure to point out why. Any details that you can provide about the other driver are very important to the responding Officer. Make sure to mention if you noticed that they appeared to be distracted by their phone or another device.
- Even if your injuries do not require emergency medical treatment, don’t fail to seek out treatment as soon as possible. For more information on seeking treatment after a car wreck see Part 1 and Part 2 of our articles on the topic.
- Talk to an experienced car wreck lawyer as soon as possible. As you’ll see in our blog post on the topic, there are a number of things in a car accident that you could be compensated for. There are also lots of variables when it comes to determining fault in an accident. An experienced car wreck lawyer can help walk you through the process and protect your interests.
The Lawyers of Brown & Roberto are serious lawyers who know how to win. With more than 75 years combined experience, The Lawyers of Brown & Roberto have recovered more than $45 million for their clients. Our office is conveniently located in West Knoxville, with plenty of free parking. We’re happy to meet with you free of charge to discuss your case and answer any questions that you may have. Call (865) 691-2777 or use the convenient response form below.